Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas fun

The last couple weeks have been fun and great being out of school. My new job has been busy and I enjoy what I'm doing so far. They have me converting a Mill so it will run by computer (CNC). I got the motors installed on the leadscrews that lift the head that has the drill bit on it but I'm having a hard time figuring out the software to run the motors. I like the people I work with and so far it's been a good venture for me.

At the end of last week I got "called up" to work in Rock Springs for Exterran. Sara had work off so she came too. We lived the high life for a couple days. The weather wasn't too bad getting there but was horrible coming back. Anyway, in rock Springs we were allotted so much money for food and the hotel. Our hotel had a hot tub and swimming pool which we've missed sorely ever since Sara moved out of Oakridge apartments in logan. Then we ate out at Applebees and gorged ourselves. I actually got to do some design work for exterran the next day so it was sad to leave (I won't be going up there next semester). But I definitely won't miss the bad weather. The usual 3 1/2 hour drive took 5 hours because we averaged about 45 mph the whole way. A good trade off for not ending up in the snowbank, though. Finally made it to Kaysville and had the same feeling as getting off the airplane after our cruise -- just good to get on solid ground and not be moving.

When we arrived in Kaysville we endured an hour and a half of intense anticipation for the event of the year -- Neil Diamond in concert! We took the trains to Salt Lake and had to wait in the cold for 30-40 minutes because the train was late. Finally we got the the energy solutions arena and Neil sang his old heart out and we all enjoyed it. I had a pretty bad cold and so the noise was less than desirable for me but Sara thoroughly enjoyed it and she even got a shirt with Neil's 25 year old face on it. I thought there was a snake under her seat one time because she got up and scrame (= screamed) really loud. But it was just Neil's aroura overpowering her with "Forever in Blue Jeans". Good old Neil.

We came back the next day and the next 3 days dragged on until we headed back to Kaysville for Christmas. Christmas was a blast. Sara got a cd, cd holder, ipod, and other music accessories from me and her parents and I got a new backpack. Then today I bought some songs off the internet I've been wanting for a while. Sara played Knights of Catan with Danny and Jenn and myself and she layed a whoopin' on us all!

After a terrible ride home on I-15 we got home to a new 15 inches of snow which we had to shovel off our driveway before we could pull in. I've spent most of today attempting to clear off the rest of the snow and ice from the driveway and sidewalks. It's good to get back home but it also wasn't fun to leave the fam.

4 comments:

Lindee said...

aww....we came back to the same mess (obviously)! the snow was insane! i was just thankful to have somebody to shovel a spot before we pulled in, because i definitely didn't want to do it haha

Anonymous said...

What the heck! Why are you guys getting all the snow? It must be the "Global warming". ;) It has been nothing but clear skies the last few nights and you can see the northern lights wonderfully! I love that we had a white christmas (about two feet) and now it is all melting away!

Unknown said...

Sweet CAROLINE!!!!!!!

Goldthorpes said...

We love hearing about all your adventures. Happy New Year