Friday, June 29, 2012

KYLA'S Blessing

Kyla's blessing was almost a month ago and I am now finally writing about. The day was great is so many ways. We had lots of family and friends come and support us and we could really feel the love all day long. Because we have a small apartment Fred's uncle Sam graciously lent us his house for a few hours. The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed a lovely luncheon on his patio afterwards. What made the day even more fun was that it was Fred's birthday. He got his favorite homemade cake: yellow cake with chocolate icing. It was great to celebrate Kyla and Fred. In all of the excitement of the day and all the planning leading up to the day we completely forgot to take any pictures. Oh well I guess

Kyla's blessing Dress:For Kyla's blessing I struggled for weeks deciding on what I would do for a dress. I have a dress that I was blessed in and I used when we blessed Molly. I kept debating on whether I should use that dress or buy a new one. I looked online and didn't really like any of the styles but more importantly I was not going to pay 100 bucks for a dress she would wear once. Two weeks before Kyla's blessing my grandmother asked what I was doing for a blessing dress. I told her I was considering just using the one I already had. She told me to be careful because when she was blessing her two daughters she used the same dress for both and when it was time for her daughters to bless their girls they both wanted the same dress. That convinced me not to use the same dress. The more I thought about it the more I wanted to make the dress myself. In my mind I already had a pretty specific idea of what I wanted the dress to look like. I knew I wouldn't be able to find a pattern for the kind of dress I wanted. So I decided I would design and make the dress. It was quite a scary thought, although I have made a dress without a pattern before in one of my college classes. I sold back the book that showed how to make your own pattern so I knew I would be completely on my own. I sat down one day and made a practice dress. After I made the practice dress I was convinced that I could make her blessing dress. I made the dress while we were visiting fred's parents. I knew I would need help with babysitting if I wanted to get it done and Kathryn was a huge help with the kids. I designed and made the whole dress in about 6 hrs. I am so happy I made the dress because now my girls will both have dresses that were special.

HERE ARE THE PICTURES OF KYLAS BLESSING DRESS:

PRACTICE DRESS



                                                         I MADE THE BOW TOO!


THIS ONE IS FOR BABY VOGUE :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

If I ever have a baby girl can I hire you? That dress is adorable!!!

Chris and Justine Johnson said...

She is adorable. You are so incredibly talented.