Friday, February 6, 2009

Money from Heaven?

This week has been nice for both of us. Sara is enjoying her job at Convergys. She finishes up training this week and then next week she officially starts. Luckily that training has all been paid too. I finally got the mill going right at work to make the parts I was supposed to. There was some backlash in the screws and so I had to tighten a pulley on it to make it work. That pulley was a bear to get tightened just right but it was worth it. Then I made 8 resistors for my boss and he was pleased. I did it all in an hour too. We have lost our camera so it may be quite a while before I post any pictures of the lean mean green milling machine. It's a lot of fun to work with.

I had a test this week in my Material Science class and it seemed to go well. He threw in one trick question on it but I think I'll get some partial credit for it. I'm worried about the tests coming up this week in Numerical Methods and Thermo. The teacher for numerical isn't so much concerned about whether you know how to use an equation as he is that you know how to derive it. I think deriving an equation is something mathematicians should do and no one else. (What else are they doing anyway?) My test in Thermo is given by a good teacher but the material is just hard.

Last night we got a wonderful surprise in the mail- a check for $2000.00! I guess that since we applied for financial aid and I am in engineering with a GPA above 3 that I qualified for the SMART grant. I had no idea what that was. SMART means Science & Mathematics Access to Retain Talent. Basically it is for people who have or want talent in a set of majors but don't have access (money) to keep it. Since all my fees were paid 2 months ago the 2000 is ours to use. We finally got to free up our credit card that I had to use at one-way transmissions. It also means I can afford to take the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam this April. I would have been able to afford it without the 2 grand (the fee is 135.00) but it's nice to not have to scrimp so I can register for it. And finally, it means I can get some new pants. I consider that money straight from Heaven.

Speaking of heavenly things, I think it is a daily miracle that I'm not swamped with homework now. This week I did work for CADanswer and EVsource and somehow had time to do all my homework. It seems like when I don't have time to do homework either something happens (due dates change) or I just understand the material and can get it done faster.

4 comments:

Lindee said...

I'm so jealous! We definitely need some money from heaven....or from anywhere for that matter! It's tight these days. Congratulations though! That's definitely an awesome thing to acquire!

Tom said...

It's amazing how Heavenly Father watches out for you when you are doing the things you need to be doing. And it's even better that you can realize his hand it your lives. Hope things keep going good for you guys we can relate to the struggles of schooling...love-Tom and Dani

US!! said...

Wow! That is so cool for you two! You must be doing something right, lol. I bet that was a load off your mind. Yay for blessings!

Anonymous said...

You really didn't know about SMART? Oh my goodness, Jake and me got that twice, it is kind of nice, especially when you are trying to make ends meet. But yeah, Congrats! Sometimes I swear we made more money while we were in school then when we are out. Maybe it's the kid factor. Who knows. Now I am just rambling. Sorry.