Saturday, June 6, 2009

Fred's unruly children

Over the last couple months you've heard me gripe about making the plexiglass covers at work. Today I did more of that and wanted to show you my "boneyard" of past failed covers. These are only the most recent (as in the last 3 weeks). I would bet I've gone through upwards of 30-40 covers.
This is what happens when the lexan sticks to the pan it is heated on. There is a point somewhere in between 9 1/2 and 10 minutes of cooking in the oven that it reaches this point. At 9 1/2 the stuff is not quite rubbery enough. At 10 minutes it becomes liquid in places. It's ruined as a liquid but not easily formable at 9 1/2 minutes. This was probably the worst sticking one.
The Lexan bubbles if you don't "predry" it in the oven for 4 hours at 250 F. That adds a lot more time to making these covers-it takes 4 hours to dry them then about 40 minutes to destroy them if you failed.
This is my family of failures. Some of them may look okay but they are bad because the radius isn't close enough to the exact size on thecorners or because one edge bowed up or down too much. It's been the biggest waste of time I've ever experienced. Waste of money too.
Thursday I went golfing and we found this duck walking with a bunch of babies then they hopped in the water. I took this picture planning to count them later. I think this mama was trying to populate the duck colony all by herself. There may have been more ducklings but I just missed them in the picture. I counted 11 in the picture.
We ran into a bunch of groundhogs there too. They were as abundant as chipmunks at yellowstone. And I'm convinced they took one of my golf balls too.
Went fishing with Keith today in honor of free fishing day at first dam. We each caught 2. I caught one pretty good sized one. Keith caught a bunch of weeds with his second fish.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's not real fish. I keep telling ya to get up here and go fishing for real! And it is good to see that you are learning with the plexi-glass. A family of failures does mean an eventual success!

Frank and Amy said...

I wouldn't call them unruly per say. A little unwilling to fit the mold--Maybe. "Free thinkers" if you will.