Monday, April 27, 2009

1 day weekend, finals

Wow that FE was a beast! I know I was pretty unprepared but not that much! The morning test (4 hours) wasn't so bad. The questions were straightforward for the most part and I was a little bit ahead of schedule so I could check some of my answers. The one mistake I made during that time was trying to learn chemistry during the test. I only took 2 semesters of the easiest chemistry known to man back in 2004. And that was all I could take. I was happy to get a passing grade and get out of there. So I tried to teach myself chemistry for a bit during the test because they give you a reference book that just has equations in it. Bad bad idea. I wasted probably 1/2 an hour doing that. I guess I was fooled because that worked a little with Econ. I've never taken any econ and I don't think it's required as a mechanical engineer. There were some questions that were straight out of the book. I was on top of my game with math, thermo, strength of materials, and statics and dynamics. I didn't do so good in fluids. So the morning test gave me a warm fuzzy feeling then I came back for the afternoon session and it was horrrendous! I think we all know how application questions can be bad news bears and that is all they were. I probably guessed on 30% of the questions. Hopefully everyone else is in that range. It think I passed anyway. I'd hate to suffer through that again.

Oh, and to make things a little more tense for me in the test. They assign you a seat in a specific room. I was seat # 1 in room # 1 right up front by the proctor. You also have to put your driver's license and exam authorization on the table by you. Well they announced that they would be checking our id's and our calculators to make sure we were using nothing but crappy computing machines. Since I was right up front every so often the proctor would just get up and check my id and calculator then sit down. He didn't check the goober next to me's id. Just mine. It was like he felt a need to do something and hey since I'm right in front of him then why not bug me a little. Both proctors in the morning session checked my id and calculator twice. The first proctor almost didn't let me in the door because my photo id was taken when I was 16 and I look like a little kid in the picture. She held it right up to my face and I felt like Harry on dumb and dumber when he scrunches his face so that his face looks like the picture. Then she said "Ok Mr. White you're sitting up front". Sheesh. At least I got in.

So that was my weekend. Every spare minute I had I spend studying for that test. I took work off on Friday to punish myself a little more. I felt like those kids on major payne where he teaches them to take a slap in the face or a yelling by answering back "Thank you sir may I please have another!!". I would spend hours studying one subject and want to relax but then I'd feel guilty for not studying the next subject. Saturday I took the test and felt like dying in my sleep when I got home. We did got to formosa and get some chinese. That was about it.

I spent a guilt-filled hour or two last week waging a war on the grapevine next to our garden plot. I pulled a grapevine out of a huge tree that must have been 30 feet long. I bet there will be some angry squirrels as a result of that action. But they would also be fat squirrels who never had to leave their branch because grapes always used to grow outside their front door. So I'm not too worried about any vermin attacks. They probably can't walk over here anyway.

Finals start on Wednesday when I have 3 of them. Shouldn't be too bad since I just endured an 8 hour beast. I'm so excited for this week to be over so the summer can begin!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that is too funny! I just watched major payne! And as for the id, I knew you always looked like a lephracuan (Wink) and she was probably making sure you didn't have a pot of gold or something! It is ok, I get teased for my id since I have a cheesy smile on mine and most 22 year olds are straight faced.
Squirrels are theives and odd animals. We have one that pretty much "owns" our back gravel patch (we don't have a yard just tons of gravel until it reaches the woods). We have lovingly named him hammy *over the hedge, and he has stolen everything from food off the grill to socks off of our laundry line.