Wednesday, April 1, 2009

stalking the fedex man

Well we finally got our new computer from HP. We figured it would come on Monday (we were correct) but the fedex man didn't know where our house number (4 1/2) was. I don't know why, I mean I found the place as soon as our landlord showed it to us. Well, anyway he came at 11:45 but came to the wrong door. Sara was in the house and never heard him either. I figured he would have left a note on whichever door he figured was the right one but I checked the other apartments in the house and there was no note on their door so I wondered if he went to our neighbors who aren't connected to the house. So, Tuesday, as soon as I got back from class I began stalking the fedex man. I waited by the big front window with the venetian blinds and every revving engine I heard I would slowly peek out one of the blinds (a different blind every time to avoid detection). I was also sitting by the puzzle and for a split second I got distracted by it. Then I heard a BANG BANG BANG! holy man I thought someone was using a battering ram on our neighbors door! Looked outside and lo and behold it as the fedex man at our neighbors door. I just barely caught him before he ran away again. I had this thought in my head that they walked at a "brisk pace" but I have since learned that is UPS. The fedex man has more of a "olympic jog" speed. Lucky for me I did speedwalking in 5th grade with Mr. Willis so I was able to nab him.

The computer is great. The cadanswer computer has 1.50 gHz frequency and our new one has 2.20 I think. We couldn't even listen to pandora on that thing and the fan would turn real fast and eventually the whole computer would turn off because it gave up. This new one though has no problem and has a bigger screen and to my great joy has a numeric keypad (10 key). That is so nice. I wasn't expecting it but extremely delighted. I hated doing things in AutoCAD or the other cad programs we used at cadanswer and not having the 10key. Especially painful was having to do my numerical methods homework which on one assignment we had to have accurate to 13 decimals. What a pain! As soon as I got the computer going I opened up the calculator and did some calculatin' just to feel the rush the 10 key gives. Yea.

Now that we have the computer we have a problem-- transferring data. I have no clue how to do that. I got a crossover cable from work but I couldn't make it work. (Meaning I plugged it in and it didn't bring up any boxes or anything). I really did some research on the internet and it was talking about fixing the ip addresses and setting up a network and enabling file sharing. I got the file sharing turned on but have no clue what to do with the ip configurations. Shoot, I barely know what that means anyway. I also tried to setup an ad-hoc network but got the same results. If anyone knows how to use either of those please let me know! Right now I'm using an 8GB flash drive and that takes forever! I've probably got 1/3 of our data switched over in the last 24 hours.

I'm also having a dilemma with facebook. People are inviting me as their friends who I really don't know. They used to live in Laketown but I never hung out with them (some because they are older than Tom & Frank). They seem to be "friend collectors" who only want to stalk others who they can claim a remote connection to. I'm thinking facebook was a bad idea, especially after reading the news article frank sent. Waste of time. I really don't need to know what someone is thinking or doing every second of the day and sometimes it gets annoying to know it anyway.

2 comments:

Lindee said...

you're blogs are always so funny. i feel ya on the whole olympic job thing...those guys are speedy. and sorry, my only solution for your dilemma would be the 8 gb as well lol. as for facebook and random rich countiers, i know what ya mean. but i'm bored so i don't mind reading about other people's lives, especially when i'm just sitting around doing nothing. still kinda strange though.

Kade said...

I hope you sent Mr. Willis a thank you letter.