Wednesday, March 11, 2009

spring break

This week is spring break for us (me). If what I've heard is right a lot of other schools like Weber and BYU are taking next week off but we are stuck with this week. Monday was great to wake up to a foot of snow. I initially woke up because a snowplow went by but I had no idea it would be so bad! I went out and shoveled our driveway and then went to work and by the time I came back we had 2 or 3 more inches. I wish the snow would've come more at snow time rather than at spring time.

Oh and speaking of time.... I really hate daylight savings. It always messes me up. Last October we went to church an hour early. This Sunday we went an hour late. It was so odd too because we got all ready and were thinking man this is great we have so much time left. Usually we are rushing to get to church so we just chillaxed and listened to Q92 for a while. At least we tried. Sunday night I also got a cold and on Tuesday Sara was blessed with it only hers is like ten times worse.

It's been really nice to take a break from school (kindof). I may not be going to campus everyday but I have been trying to study for the FE that I'm taking in April. In the meantime I'm learning how much I've forgotten since my mission. My teachers also gave me plenty of awesome homework. One even gave us a huge project which is just what I wanted to do over the break.

Since our last post about growing lemon-limes I have been thinking to myself "Self, What other unconventional things can I create with conventional items?" So today I brought home a piece of plexiglass from work and put it in the oven. The goal was to get the plexiglass to mold to this form I had made for work. Which reminds me I wasn't cooking just plexiglass I was also cooking about 3 feet worth of a 2 x 6 (wood) and a layer of sheet metal with a few shop towels stapled to that. The plexiglass didn't form quite right, turns out it couldn't do the radius I thought it could. But it was fun anyway. It also helped me learn that we do not have a fire extinguisher anywhere in the house. I was a little worried cooking plastic and all that water just may not put out the fire but I had no need to worry. There was no fire and it didn't even make any funky smells.

3 comments:

Lindee said...

Lol you're so funny. "Self," haha. Anyway, how'd you manage no fire? My oven catches on fire when you try to broil burgers. No fair.

Anonymous said...

Spring break for mechanical engineers was a BIG JOKE! It was like all of the teachers realize that hey, you have 5 days without classes, so you have loads of time, so we will pile on as much homework as possible, so that you have to stay up until 1 and then get up again at 5 just to stay caught up! But you guys are blessed not to have kids yet, so maybe it isn't as bad, but it was horrible for us. Forgetting going to visit folks, got to do homework. Man I am glad we don't have to be in school anymore!

Goldthorpes said...

That weather does not sound like spring break at all. It sounds like you have an interesting project in the oven, Literally. Sometome you have to come to California for a REAL spring break.